Subscribe to Gifts of Gab Now

Friday, July 17, 2009

“Are You a Man or a Mouse, I mean a Woman or a Wouse?” (Name that quote)

I’ve been thinking a lot about fear lately and wondering if it serves a spiritual purpose. In the past, I have mostly experienced fear as a paralyzing force. As a singer, for example, I used to suffer from massive stage fright. I had 15 years of formal classical vocal training with one of the top teachers in the world. My expectation was that I should be perfect. Since no one can be perfect, the fear of making a mistake kept me from singing in front of people for many years. If I sang in front of a friend or family member, I would turn my back to them or make them sit in the other room.

It took a huge amount of courage to put together my first one-woman show and perform it in front of 75 of my closest friends and family…in the same room with me facing them. I was terrified! My prayer was “God forbid I make a mistake!” Not only did I make one mistake but, I made tons of mistakes. You see, it turns out I am lyrically challenged. Even if I have been singing a song for 20 years, I am notorious for forgetting the words. So I will always be challenged to face my greatest fear: imperfection. But you know what? I survived!

What I learned from doing that show and the shows that followed is this: making mistakes made me real and it made the show very funny because I embraced my humanness. Facing the fear built courage in me. Courage I never would have accessed had I not had the fear to begin with. Now when I feel fear, I draw on my previous experience to conquer it.

“A Course in Miracles” says, “The opposite of love is fear,” and only the love is real; therefore fear is not real. I believe it takes real courage to choose to love. We can’t develop courage without the existence of fear. So the road to the land of love goes right through fear city. I now understand that fear DOES serve a purpose and it’s a very noble purpose, to build our courage. Mark Twain said, “Courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of it.”

I recently heard a lecture by Caroline Myss. She said that everyone has a set of archetypes, one of which is “The Victim.” At first glance, victim implies something negative, but it is only through embracing the victim and choosing to face our fears that we become victorious. Overcoming fear requires an action and that action is to face the fear head-on, don’t deny it, accept it as a gift and an opportunity to be victorious and build self esteem.

4 comments:

Vampire Hours said...

Your shows would be very entertaining whether you forgot the words or not. You're an entertaining lady, missy! =)

Lightworker Lisa said...

Is it a Dudley Moore quote? I remember it, but can't place it. Help me out. Great blog. I'm gonna forward it to a couple friends who need to read it more than I do.

Rev. Gabrielle Michel said...

It's Lily Tomlin in "9 to 5"

Sissy said...

Well...Gabitha, I like the take that my personal Law Enforcement Guru (and raging hottie), Gavin deBecker has on fear. In fact, his most popular book is titled "The Gift of Fear". He theorizes that fear is what we now call our sixth sense; it's what spurs us on to survive against all odds. We've just become less and less inclined to embrace it as something necessary and useful.

Fear inspires us to become bigger, stronger, and take leaps of faith. Whether it's singing in front of 75 friends and family members, interviewing for that job that you know darn well you may not be qualified for, or putting yourself in harms way to guarantee the safety of someone unable to defend themselves...fear is what gets us over the hump, whispers "you can do this" in our ear.

Great post Rev!